Well, it’s safe to say that it’s hot out there! As the grass continues to scorch and the flies have a field day, we hope you’re still finding ways to enjoy your horse. 4am hacks anyone?!
Whatever the weather, you can always guarantee a good read from Your Horse magazine, and our September issue is no exception. Get in the shade and immerse yourself in pages stuffed full of horsey loveliness.
Peter Phillips talks to editor Aimi about running around after his horse mad daughters, remembering his childhood ponies and why he was never allowed to ride Toytown.
Find out how to give common riding a spin in our ‘Your Horse Challenges You To…’ series. It’s fun, exhilarating and you get to ride across beautiful countryside at the same time.
Should we be hacking on 60mph roads? We asked, you answered.
In our Horses Around the World feature we take a closer look at the Australian Stock Horse. A precision sport horse, we found out just what they’re capable of.
Cumbria is a beautiful place, and in a bid to up her hacking miles, editor Aimi joined an organised ride across some pretty challenging terrain. She needed a paracetamol or two – find out why.
In Better Riding:
· Alex Gingell helps you ride the perfect circle
· How to keep the lid on your horse in the start box with advice from eventer Flora Young
· Our exclusive 30-minute workout will teach you the best approach to a fence
· Dressage rider Anna Ross helps one horse and rider with rhythm and suppleness
· Learn how to jump corners with style with advice from event rider Simon Grieve
In Horse Care:
· Is retirement livery the right choice for your golden oldie?
· Understanding habronemiasis – also known as summer sores
· All about the eyes – find out how amazing your horse’s sight actually is
· Loading problems solved with ‘The Horse Shrink’ Patrick Gracey, part 2
· First look at a new balancer that could save you ££££’s
· Travel boots on test
· On trend – overreach boots
· Buyers’ guide to fly rugs
· Body protector testing uncovered
· Getting the work/home/horses balance just right – a reader shares her story
· Ask the experts – volunteering, buying and selling horses, riding confidence and arena surfaces
· What it’s like to look after horses 36,000 miles up
· Lots of prizes up for grabs including a lesson with show jumper Ellen Whitaker
· And we take five with actor Martin Clunes, star of Doc Martin to find out why he fell head over heels in love with horses
And don’t forget our fabulous competitions:
WIN A pair of season tickets to Burghley Horse Trials 2018
WIN 25 bags of minty treats for your horse
WIN Botanica summer care packs
Win Mark Todd Vision Country boots