Exporting horses after Brexit – what you need to know

brexit horses.jpg

The ups and downs of Brexit have left everyone scratching their heads, and it’s still unclear where we’ll stand at the end of March. Here’s the latest update on rules for exporting horses and other equines, and what you’ll need to do if there’s no Brexit deal.

If you’re planning to move a horse or other equine to the EU after 30 March 2019

Contact your official vet to book an appointment so you can get blood tests taken in time.

Contact an agent or transporter and tell them when you plan to travel - you may need more time to plan travel through an EU border inspection post (BIP).

If the UK exits the EU without a deal

If the UK is listed as a third country for the export of equines, you’ll need to:

·      get equines tested for certain diseases

·      meet isolation and residency requirements

·      apply for an export health certificate (EHC)

·      check you have the right equine identification (ID)

·      check if you need an export welfare declaration

Some of the checks required will depend on the sanitary group (health status category) the EU gives the UK.

If the EU does not list the UK as a third country, you will not be able to move equines to the EU.

Apply for an export health certificate (EHC)

You need to complete an EHC and some supporting documents to export a live animal.

The EHC will replace the Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) for exports to countries in the EU.

It will need to be checked by an official vet to ensure your horse meets the health requirements of the destination country within 48 hours of travel. The official vet will complete and sign the EHC and send a copy to APHA.

There’s no fee for the certificate, but you’ll need to pay for your vet’s services.

Import requirements

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) will be replaced with the UK Health Certificate.

For horses which currently enter the UK from France using a Commercial Document (DOCOM), or travel from Ireland without any animal health documentation, there will be no immediate change to the current entry documentation.

Equines originating in the EU will not have to enter the UK via a Border Inspection Post.

·      To find an official vet, ask at your local veterinary surgery or email csonehealthovteam@apha.gov.uk

·      If you’re in Northern Ireland, contact DAERA for specific advice.

·      For more information follow this link

Don’t miss the latest issue of Your Horse Magazine, jam-packed with training and veterinary advice, horse-care tips and the latest equestrian products available on shop shelves, on sale now. Find out what’s in the latest issue here