If you're a dressage fan then grab a pen, fling open your diary and put Somerford Park’s Premier League Dressage Show firmly in your plans.
Running over bank holiday weekend 27th - 29th May, 2017 the event offers dressage enthusiasts the chance to witness top sporting action up close. Previous event’s have attracted a stellar line up of British Dressage’s elite which has included, Charlotte Dujardin, Carl Hester, Spencer Wilton, Michael and Maria Eilberg, Emile Faurie, Becky Moody, Charlie Hutton, Gareth Hughes and Emma Hindle.
Looking ahead to Tokyo 2020- future stars will be showcasing their talent as Somerford Park is one of the Selection Trials for Juniors and Young Riders and provides a unique opportunity for many of our young dressage riders seeking team selection ahead of the European Championships to showcase their expertise.
"The Premier League Dressage has always been well supported and we’re always thrilled with the high entries and well known names that the event attracts," said Event Organiser Millie King.
[Images courtesy of Somerford Park Premier League Dressage]
"Last year we took the decision to accommodate the large number of entries by starting a day early and using our new indoor arena which was built over the 2015/16 winter and incorporates a fabulous Andrews Bowen surface."
Spectators can expect to see top young riding talent in the TopSpec Under 25 Grand Prix, and exciting future horse prospects in the British Dressage Young Horse qualifiers. Highlights of the weekend include the Prix St George, a direct qualifier for the LeMieux National Championships in September plus Grand Prix and Freestyle to Music.
8 Things You Need To Know About Somerford Park Premier League Dressage
- It's been going a while! Somerford Park Premier League Dressage Show has been running for 15 years. This is the 15thyear it's run the Premier League Dressage Show. It is one of a series of eight Premier leagues which take place from March to July. The season starts at Myerscough in Lancashire, and culminates with Hickstead in July. The shows are intended as a stepping stone to International competitions.
- Somerford Park’s Premier League Dressage Show is always hugely popular. In fact, last year’s event experienced such a high volume of entries that event organisers had to start the show one day early!
- You can watch British Dressage’s elite ahead of the European Championships. Many of the British Dressage’s top riders will be competing at Somerford Park ahead of this summer’s European Championships which take place in Gothenburg in August.
- Somerford Premier League Dressage Show is one of the Selection Trials for Junior and Young Rider European Championship Teams. Somerford is one of the selection trials for Juniors (14-18) and Young Riders (16-21) teams.
- It will takes hundreds of people to create this Dressage spectacular. As well as the team of scorers, there are the ring stewards working in pairs from dawn ’til dusk. There are sheet collectors, arena stewards, writers for the judges, live score in-putters and the caterers who provide food and drink for all of them.
- Approximately 20 judges will be officiating over the weekend including 5 star dressage judge - Stephen Clarke and International Judge Trond Asmyr. Most classes require three judges except the Grand Prix where there are 5 judges positioned around the arena. There will be in excess of 1,500 dressage sheets used over the weekend!
- There's an action-packed scheduled an action packed programme throughout the weekend - Sunday plays host to a fab party atmosphere incorporating a Grand Prix during the day and a dazzling Freestyle to Music - why not relax and enjoy the Freestyle to Music with a glass of fizz in the hospitality marquee which overlooks the main arenas!
- The show is expected to attract competitors from all over the UK. A host of competitors and spectators will head to the show for three days of sporting action, glamour, all round family fun and a huge selection top dressage action. World Class Performance rider Maria Eilberg will be there judging and competing.