Team Brazil were supreme, finishing top in the Longines Challenge Cup to bring the Furusiyya FEI Nations Cup™ Jumping 2016 Final to a close at the Real Club de Polo in Barcelona (ESP) yesterday.
Although Brazil missed out on a medal at the Olympic Games in Rio finishing fifth, yesterday they produced a great performance to take the title even though Stephan de Freitas Barcha was eliminated.
“We approached this competition with a lot of will to do well and to come out on top. A win is always good so we are happy to be here. On paper France was the strongest team in the group, Qatar as well - we thought they would be close - but in any competition you never know, and France didn’t have good day. Qatar had some good rounds but it was a tough competition and with just one round anything can happen,” said former Olympic and World champion, Rodrigo Pessoa.
France settled for equal-fourth with the host nation Spain and keeping with the fundamental ethos of the Furusiyya series which is designed to encourage the engagement from riders across the globe, Team Qatar lined up second ahead of Colombia in third.
1. Brazil 12 faults: Citizenguard Cadjanine Z (Rodrigo Pessoa) 4, Lendpeter do Feroleto (Stephan de Freitas Barcha) Elim, Babylotte (Yuri Mansur) 8, Quabri de L’Isle (Pedro Veniss) 0.
2. Qatar 16 faults: Appagino 2 (Hamad Al Attiyah) 8, First Devision (Sheikh Ali Al Thani) 8, Gunder (Ali Al Rumaihi) 4, Dejavu (Bassem Muhammed) 4.
3. Colombia 18 faults: Brilliant du Rouet (Roberto Teran Tafur) 1, Con Dios lll (Rene Lopez) 13, Cisco S Zidane (Andres Penalosa) Ret, Admara 2 (Carlos Enrique Lopez Lizarazo) 4.
4. Spain 21 faults: U Watch (Manuel Fernandez Saro) 5, Gribouille du Lys (Pilar Lucrecia Cordon) 12, Cassino DC (Gerardo Menendez Mieres) 8, Carlo (Sergio Alvarez Moya) 8.
4. France 21 faults: Reveur de Hurtebise HDC (Kevin Staut) 8, Rahotep de Roscane (Philippe Rozier) 12, Sydney Une Prince (Roger Yves Bost) Ret, Flora de Mariposa (Penelope Leprevost) 1.
6. Australia 25 faults: Amarillo (James Paterson-Robinson) 5, Vedor (Julia Hargreaves) 15, Stanley 151 (Evie Buller) 25, Ego van Orti (Edwina Tops-Alexander) 5.
7. Sweden 26 faults: H&M Zaloubet (Peder Fredricson) 16, Newton Abbot (Angelie von Essen) 5, Romane du Theil (Charlotte Mordasini) 21, Clarimo Ask (Rolf-Goran Bengtsson) 5.
8. Austria 29 faults: Bionda 3 (Gerfried Puck) Ret, Saphyr des Lacs (Christian Rhomberg) 4, Sterrehof’s Cayetano Z (Julia Kayser) 12, Cielito Lindo 2 (Max Kuhner) 13.
9. Mexico 33 faults: Temascaltepec (Nicolas Pizarro) 12, Babel (Patricio Pasquel) 12, Guru (Federico Fernandez) 9, Ninloubet (Jose Antonio Chedraui Eguia) 13.
10. Egypt 36 faults: Zarco (Mohamed Taher Zeyada) 21 faults: Connaught (Mohamed Talaat) 7, California (Abdel Said) 8, Amelia (Karim Elzoghby) DNS.