A horse that was found in a ditch last week after being spooked by fireworks is said to be doing well and is ‘unharmed’.
Queenie, a six-year old 16.2hh Irish Draught owned by Holly Gay, was so terrified by the fireworks being let off near her yard in Bristol that she jumped out of her paddock and fled. In her panic, she fell into a ditch and became stuck.
It took Avon and Somerset fire crew around three hours to free Queenie, who thankfully escaped the ordeal with only a scratch to her eye. She’s now receiving eye drops to the scratch for two weeks and is said to be recovering well.
Both Holly and her yard owner, Adam Gibson, had deliberated over whether to keep Queenie and the other horses at the yard stabled with the fireworks going off.
After seeing how stressed Queenie and some of the other horses were becoming in their stables, it was decided the horses would be safer out in the paddock where they seemed a lot calmer.
The following morning, Adam discovered Queenie in the ditch, not far from her paddock. Upon finding her, he immediately called the vet and Avon and Somerset Fire and Rescue who came out to rescue her.
Adam said: “The fire crew were amazing and worked tirelessly to get underneath her to get the ropes under her. They didn’t realise how big she would be and so had to call for their tactical water unit to dig the ditch out around her. After around three hours of hard work, Queenie was pulled from the ditch.
“We got her straight to the stable where we spent around an hour drying her with straw and numerous rug changes.
“Apart from a scratched eye, Queenie was unharmed thankfully. This could have been a disaster. Had everybody not acted how they did, Queenie wouldn't be here.”
Holly said: “I can't thank everybody enough for helping Queenie. It's a miracle she's alive with only a scratch on her eye.
“She must've been so scared from the fireworks and I'm so thankful that she's okay. I wish people were more aware about where they set their fireworks off.”
The news comes as it was also reported this week that two horses from Redwings had to be put down after being spooked by fireworks. A horse in Wales was also left terrified after fireworks were set off in his field.
Many horse owners struggle to know what to do with their horses when fireworks are going off, but the BHS advise to keep them in an environment they are most comfortable with.
The BHS say: “It’s sensible to keep your horse in his familiar environment, in his normal routine, with any companions to make him feel secure. If he’s usually stabled, keep him stabled. If he’s normally out in the field, keep him there as long as it is safe, secure and not close to the firework display area.”