A horse owner is urging people to sign a petition, calling on the government to ban the sale of fireworks to the public after her horse was fatally wounded.
Nelly Shell, from Northumberland, had to have her thoroughbred gelding, Boy, put down after he sustained injuries while being spooked by fireworks. It’s thought the fireworks were let off in an unofficial display near to Boy’s field.
In his panic, Boy ran into the barbed wire fence surrounding his field, cutting his legs severely. Boy was found with a severed tendon and damage to his cannon bone.
Nelly called a vet immediately, but the gelding was so badly hurt that the vet advised the kindest thing would be to have Boy put to sleep.
Nelly is now urging the public to sign a petition that restricts the sale of fireworks to approved organised displays only.
Speaking to ITV news, Nelly said: “I am angry this has happened because it could so easily have been avoided. I want to urge people to be more aware of the dangers of fireworks, and the animals such as dogs and horses which might become spooked by the loud bangs, especially when in the countryside.
“If you’re going to set fireworks off then please tell people nearby. If I'd known, I would have moved Boy to another field. It's not just horses, it's all animals, including sheep and cows in rural areas. I am trying to track whoever is responsible down, so I can explain the dangers to them. I would hate this to happen to someone else's pet.”
To sign the petition, please visit https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168663