The British Equestrian Federation has announced the UK Sport National Lottery funded dressage squad which will compete at the FEI Longines European Championships in Gothenburg, Sweden (21-27 August 2017).
This year’s team is an all-male team, the first in 40 years, and boasts a wealth of experience with Carl Hester heading to his eighth European Championships alongside Emile Faurie, for whom this is his fifth time. His first appearance came in 1993.
The selected squad has been named by British Dressage selectors as (alphabetical order):
- Emile Faurie, 54, based in Oxfordshire, with Hof Kasselmann’s Weekend Fun (Emile is also selected with Elena Knyagincheva’s Lollipop 126 as a direct reserve
- Carl Hester MBE, 50, based in Gloucestershire, with Jane de la Mare and his own Nip Tuck
- Gareth Hughes, 46, based in Warwickshire, with Anne and Steve Keen’s Don Carissimo
- Spencer Wilton, 44, based in Berkshire, with Jen Goodman’s Super Nova II
- Named reserve: Lara Butler, 29, based in Gloucestershire, with Dr Wilfried Bechtolsheimer’s Rubin Al Asad
Speaking about Nip Tuck (aka Barney) Carl said his ride has so far gone from strength to strength and exceeded all expectations. “Gothenburg will be our fourth straight championship appearance and at just 13, Jane and I couldn’t ask for more,” he said. “It’ll be a tough task but we’ll certainly do our best. Our pony team recently showed just what ‘girl power’ can achieve with a bronze medal; now it’s down to us guys to show what we can do!”
The new team also welcomes back Emile and Gareth who made their last appearances at the European Championships in 2011 and World Equestrian Games in 2014 respectively.
“This is a very strong team with a lot of experience at this level, with two of our Olympic silver medal winners from Rio last year, Carl and Spencer, both retaining their places after continuing their great form this season,” said British Dressage Chief Executive, Jason Brautigam.
The British senior teams are supported by the BEF’s UK Sport National Lottery funded World Class Programme.
Performance Manager, Caroline Griffith has thanked the riders, owners and support teams who have campaigned throughout the year and made it such an exciting season. She has also thanked UK Sport and the National Lottery for backing the World Class Programme.
For more information visit www.equestrianteamgbr.co.uk