A horse was left terrified this weekend after fireworks were set off in his field.
The 15-year old gelding, called Red, was found pacing up and down in his field by his owner, Laurie Atherton, after she went to check on him late on Bonfire night at his field in Bridgend.
Before she entered the field, Laurie was shocked to discover a firework had been lit right next to Red’s paddock. Turning her torch on, Laurie found Red in an extremely stressed state, trotting and snorting with his field mate, a 26-year old pony.
Laurie stayed with the horses until they calmed down, but returned early the following morning to stumble upon something even more distressing.
She says: “I found all of these fireworks scattered around his field, some of which were vertical into the ground.
“I’m very angry as people have trespassed onto the field that we’re renting to light these fireworks, knowing the direction they were lit in would be in our field.
“Red, who is my mother’s horse, had a rug on so I’m just very thankful a firework didn’t hit him and set it alight.”
It’s thought that at least nine rockets were set off in Red’s field, a paddock that can only be accessed through another padlocked field.
Even though nothing has happened like this before in Red’s field, the incident has made Laurie concerned about the upcoming festive period.
She says: “Thankfully the horses are okay now, but I’m just dreading New Year’s Eve.
“I’m really upset that Red had to suffer unnecessary stress due to inconsiderate people, I’m just thankful he wasn’t injured.”
What do you think about this story? Let us know in the comments below.