Here's a simple ground work exercise to work the muscles in your horse's hindquarters - it's also a great way to help maintain his fitness and mobility:
- Stand the horse square. Position yourself to the side and lift his back leg a few inches.
- Grasp the tail and gently bring it towards you. Go very slowly and only a few inches. Hold and release. The rhythm is one-twohold; two-one release. Repeat three times.
- Next, slowly pick up the same leg and circle the foot in a clockwise direction with the hock flexed. Then do this the opposite way. It should take ten seconds to complete each circle.
- Watch the other leg doesn’t buckle. If this happens, put the foot down and let him rest.
- Repeat on the other side. Repeat three times clockwise and anti-clockwise.